Tuesday, January 24, 2012

26.2 Miles - We Did It!

Last weekend was a BIG weekend for Trish & me.  We ran our first marathon!  Whoo-hoo!  When I started running over 3 years ago, I said I wanted to do a half-marathon (which I finally did back in Dec.) & that I never had any desire to do a full - 26.2 miles just sounded crazy (& still sometimes does).  But after Trish & I started running together & became friends, I decided to give it a try.  Even after I signed up & raised my money for the charity (since I missed the normal registration), I still debated switching down to the half, but Trish kept insisting I could do it.  And I'm glad I did.  We stayed together every single step of the way & I know there's NO WAY we could have done it without each other.  Going into the big day we always said this was a one-time-only deal.  But as we were doing it, we came to the realization that we're going to sign up & hopefully get in again next year!  OMG, we must be crazy!  But the feeling of crossing that finish line after 5.5 hours of running & the amazing sight of seeing our families there cheering us on was so worth the pain & we actually can't wait to do another one!  I'm so proud to say I am now a marathon runner!

My first marathon bib!!!  Such a thrill to get this! 
Awaiting start time - getting anxious!  And don't you like our matching green shirts?!  We figured we'd make it easier for our families to spot us coming.
Our sweet kiddos cheering us on with the signs they made!
Alexis, Chase, Nicholas & Rylie
 The kids watching for us to run by.
 We were very excited to see them - thankfully we got to see them 4x throughout our journey! 
 Our families' view of the finish line.  Ellis was in charge of my camera (obviously) so he never bothers to zoom in.  If you look close you can spot the 2 specks of green crossing the line!
Through the fence at the finish line - still smiling!
 We did it!!!!  I am so proud of us & so thankful to have this wonderful friend by my side!
My marathon shirt & finisher's shirt - I will wear these shirts with a trememdous amount of pride!

After we finished we met up w/ our families (thankfully the men had sense enough to ride together - originally they hadn't planned to, but Ellis is sure glad they did) at one of our local favorite restaurants, All Stars Family Grill.  I figured I'd be starving after running so far, but actually it just made me feel sick.  But I did enjoy some fried pickles! :)  Then after resting & getting cleaned up we met up w/ the Cravaritis' again for dinner to celebrate.  We picked Chuy's planning to indulge, but I think we were both still on our runners' high that we didn't feel like eating as much.  For as tiring as the marathon was on my body, my brain didn't settle down until we were on our way from dinner & I finally realized I needed to crash!  It was a good nights sleep for sure!!!

No comments: